Since 1895, we have personally helped generations of customers, friends, neighbors, families, and business owners build a better life in Madison and Dane County. We've prepared a brief slide show of some highlights through the years, as well as a written history of our 120 years here.
120 Years of Commitment to the Community
In 1895, Home Savings & Loan was established to provide mortgage loans to homeowners, a role that Madison's commercial banks of the day were not serving. Among the founders were executives of a title company, an insurance agency, and a lumber and millwork company.
In 1909, the Home Savings and Loan Association was located at 2 South Carroll Street, the present location of Home's downtown office. Many moves subsequently took place before the bank returned to its home on the Capitol Square in 1966.
In 1971, Home Savings Bank donated a lion cub to the Henry Vilas Zoo. During his first days in Madison, “Homer” spent time in the bank's downtown lobby. Many Homer's Club members visited to pay their respects to the king of the financial jungle.
Home opened its first branch office at 1438 Northport Drive, adjacent to what was Madison's highest volume PDQ convenience store, in 1972. The office was called a “Handy Branch.”
The following year, the second Handy Branch opened in Westgate Mall, adjacent to an Eagle Food Store. This branch later moved to its current home at 7701 Mineral Point Road.
In 1977, the Stoughton solar office opened at 400 West Main Street, Stoughton, capturing national attention for its use of solar heating. Inspired by Stoughton's Norwegian heritage, the building was designed by architect Don Reppen to resemble Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg's home. The building's interior was enhanced by striking Norwegian decorative painting, called rosemaling,done by Stoughton resident Ethel Kvalheim.
The 1980’s marked the first Community Support Award given to Home Savings Bank by the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago.
Telephone banking was introduced in 1993 to ease members’ access to information and funds in their accounts. The same year, Home Savings Bank’s East office opened at 226 Corporate Drive.
In 1994, Home Savings Bank celebrated 100 years of service to Madison and Dane County. The bank also developed the Accumulator, an innovative savings plan that rewards depositors with flexibility and comparatively high returns.
In 1997, Home Savings Bank received an Outstanding CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) Rating for its efforts in meeting the credit needs of Dane County.
Home celebrated 25 years of service in Stoughton in 2002 with an anniversary party at the solar office. Ethel Kvalheim was the guest of honor.
In 2005, Home Savings Bank broke ground for its new green-built branch on East Washington Avenue. This became the first LEED-certified bank in Wisconsin. Homer the Lion helped pulverize the asphalt to be recycled into the new building's parking lot.
That same year, Home played a leadership role in creating the Dane County Buy Local initiative, which promotes the importance of local independent businesses to our local economy and our community’s unique character.
In 2006, after nearly forty years of teaching our youngest customers about money management skills, Homer’s Club balances topped $1 million. In May of that year, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz participated in the opening of Home’s newest green-built branch, located at 3762 East Washington Avenue.
Home Savings Bank was named one of the first Eco-Intelligent banks in the country by SustainLINKin 2009, recognizing our commitment to climate change, environmental responsibility and societal stewardship.
In 2014, Home Savings Bank’s holding company, Home Bancorp Wisconsin, became a publicly traded company. During the initial phase of stock sales, Home Bancorp sold 899,190 shares at $10 per share, first offering shares to employees and customers, and then opening up sales to the wider community.